Move over cauliflower cheese…it’s time for broccoli to shine in this cheesy gratin. This bright and tasty side dish will make a fabulous addition to your roast dinner or any meal.
Simple to make and delicious, this dish will impress, and is a great alternative for those who don’t like cauliflower, because pretty much everyone likes broccoli don’t they? And if not, this pooch will happily take it off your paws, or hers.
Written by Corin
Sprouting Broccoli Gratin
Serves: 4-6 as a side dish
Prep time: 5 minutes (plus 20 minutes resting time)
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes plus 5 minutes grilling in oven
- 900 grams Tenderstem® or sprouting purple broccoli, ends trimmed and lower halves peeled if thick and tough
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 600ml whole milk
- 5 bay leaves
- 60 grams butter, plus extra for greasing the tray
- 40 grams plain flour
- 5 tablespoons double cream
- 80 grams grated mature cheddar
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- Chopping board
- 2 x Copper Base 18cm Saucepans
- Steamer and saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Large rectangle oven proof dish (The size we used was 30cm x 21.5cm)
- Using a saucepan melt a small knob (approx 10 grams) of butter over a medium heat and add the chopped onion, garlic and bay leaves. Fry gently for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add the milk and bring slowly to the boil, stirring periodically and keeping an eye on it so that it doesn’t boil over. Then remove from heat and set aside for approx 20 minutes to let the spices infuse.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves from the milk mixture. Then bring the infused milk back to the boil. Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in another saucepan, stir in the flour and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Remove the flour mixture from the heat and gradually beat in the hot milk.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated, return to medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring now and then, letting it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the double cream, nutmeg, chilli flakes, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Then lower the heat and keep warm while continuing to stir the mixture periodically to avoid a skin forming on the top until it thickens.
- Preheat the grill in your oven to high.
- Bring a saucepan (suitable for steaming) of water to the boil. After preparing the broccoli as per the above cut the stems in half. Place the broccoli in the steaming basket over the boiling water, cover with a lid and steam for 3-5 minutes. You may need to do this in two batches depending on how large your steamer is.
- Strain the broccoli and let cool slightly until it is cool enough to handle. Then lay the broccoli over the base of a large, slightly buttered, shallow oven proof dish. Cover with the warm sauce, then sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Grill in the oven for approximately 5 minutes or until the top is golden brown in places and bubbling. Serve and enjoy!