Guacamole for a Crowd
My friends and I can’t seem to get enough of guacamole at the moment. Someone brings it to every gathering or get together we have. We have it with tortilla chips, freshly cut vegetables, flat bread, anything really. This recipe can be served as a snack for a group of people or split between a few people as more of a main. BUT Avocados can be expensive, so give your local markets a try as they sometimes have amazing deals. My friends swear by the Moor Market in Sheffield if you’re local. Also a great way to save is to buy them on offer. The avocados I’ve used in this recipe are from the co-op but were reduced and perfectly ripe, bar one which was slightly too far gone.
Another safe bet with avocados, as timing can be tricky, is frozen avocados. Yes, you can freeze avocados! This is fab if you buy a bunch at a market or on offer, just make sure to remove the stone and skin before freezing. Even more exciting is that Tesco stock bags of frozen avocado halves at a pretty reasonable price too. (Quick Tip – these are in with frozen vegetable, not fruit section!) Perfect for keeping in the freezer for your last minute avocado needs. I must admit I’ve even defrosted them slightly in the microwave or in a freezer bag in some warm water, when in a hurry to use them.
This recipe is packed with so much vegetable goodness it’s unbelievable. The seasonal foods for June we’ve used are tomatoes, garlic, red onions and coriander, as well as carrots and courgettes served alongside to dip in the guacamole.
Written by Corin
Serves: A crowd as a side dish/dip or 2-3 as a light meal
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 medium/large ripe avocados, stones and skin removed then flesh chopped
- 100g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- Half of any colour pepper, chopped
- 1/2 -1 small red onion or 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- juice from 2 limes
- Half of a small chilli pepper, or a pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chopped avocado in the bowl or saucepan. Mix in the onion, pepper, celery, garlic, coriander, lime juice, chilli or flakes and ground turmeric. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Then lastly add the tomatoes and mix gently to incorporate.
- Serve with warmed flat bread, parathas (Indian Flat Bread), tortilla chips, or sliced vegetables (carrots, cucumber, peppers, courgette, snap peas etc).
We’re linking up with the below blogging events. Check them out for more tasty recipe ideas:
Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diaries – No Food Waste Challenge June and July’s host Utterly Scrummy
Katie from Feeding Boys – Simple and In Season
Fab Food 4 All & Fuss Free Flavours – Credit Crunch Munch hosted this month by Lovely Appetite
Tinned Tomatoes Meat Free Monday’s 7 Recipes for the Week.