This trio of Christmas vegetables is a fantastic option for your festive dinner. The vivid, jewel-like colours of the red cabbage, carrots and sprouts will make an enticing accompaniment to any centre-piece. Obviously we think that the best way to serve the vegetables is in our mini pans! We put portions for two into each mini-pan and served them on wooden trays designed to be shared.
The red cabbage is sautéed in red wine vinegar. The pine nuts & sweet, juicy raisins balance against the vinegar to create a lovely ‘sweet & sour’ flavour.
We chose not to over complicate things with the carrots and the sprouts … the carrots were lightly boiled and dressed with parsley butter. The sprouts were sparingly trimmed and boiled in salted water for about 5 minutes so that they kept their vibrancy in terms of flavour, colour & crunch.
Written by Faye
Red Cabbage with Pine Nuts and Raisins
Serves: 6 as a side dish Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- ½ head of red cabbage, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 50g raisins
- 50g pine nuts
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Chopping board
Copper Base 26cm Saute pan or wok
- Soak the raisins in the red wine vinegar.
- Gently toast the pine nuts in a dry pan, over a medium heat, until they just start changing colour.
- Boil the red cabbage for 5 – 7 minutes. Drain & set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the saute pan and add the cabbage. Saute for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Turn up the heat and add the raisins and the red-wine vinegar. Use the wooden spoon to scrape in any of the ingredients that have caramelised on the base of the pan.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, add the pine nuts and cover.
- Allow the cabbage to cook down for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste and serve in a mini pan.