Coronation Smoked Haddock Scotch Eggs by Paul WelburnLeave a Comment
In honour of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, Michelin-starred chef Paul Welburn has created a regal recipe for Coronation Smoked Haddock Scotch Eggs with Mango Ketchup.
Paul used our brand new Copper Base 24cm Frying Pan (Stainless Steel interior) for this dish.
Serves 6 people
For the Smoked Haddock Rice:
- 100g smoked haddock
- 100g arborio risotto rice
- 250ml milk
- 250ml vegetable stock (little more if needed)
- 10ml rape seed oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1tsp tumeric
- 2tsp mild curry powder
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp garam masala
- 50g butter
- 50g chopped sultanas
- Chopped coriander stalks
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Kedgeree Scotch Eggs:
- 6 x hens eggs
- 3 tblsp plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 250g panko bread crumbs
For the Mango Ketchup:
- 2 x ripe mangos – peeled and all flesh removed
- 45g cider vinegar
- 25g sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Flaked almonds
Method (Smoked Haddock Rice)
- In a pan poach bring the milk and stock to a simmer , place the haddock in and remove from the heat, cover and allow to poach for 10 minutes.
- Remove the haddock from the milk/stock and flake the fish , reserve until needed.
- In a copper based pan, on a medium heat add the oil and the diced onion, sweat with no colour for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tumeric, curry powder, mustard seeds and gara masala and cook out the spices for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and sweat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Begin to add the stock/milk a little at a time stiring regularly like a risotto.
- This will take 8-10 minutes – you may need a little more stock if its becoming dry , once the rice is tender, remove from the stove.
- And fold in the butter , chopped coriander stalk, chopped sultanas, flaked haddock and season to taste , once happy, pour into a tray and cover with clingfilm and allow to cool.
Method (Kedgeree Scotch Eggs)
- Boil the eggs for 6 minutes in boiling water.
- Place into and ice water to chill completely.
- Peel carefully.
- Split the rice mix into 6 even amounts, lay 6 sheets of parchment paper and place the rice on each. Spread the rice out evenly to a rough disc that would cover the eggs.
- Place an egg in the middle of each rice mix.
- Form the rice around the egg and smooth out. Don’t worry if it’s not an even covering as long as the egg is covered.
- Place in the fridge to chill.
- In a bowl break the eggs and whisk with a fork. Put the bread crumbs in another bowl.
- Coat the rice wrapped eggs in the flour and dust off the excess. Then dip into the beaten egg and then into the bread crumbs and make sure each egg is coated well.
- In a table top fryer, fill with vegetable oil and set at 180c.
- Fry the scotch eggs for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, remove and drain, and allow to rest for 2 minutes before eating.
Method (Mango Ketchup)
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend to a smooth puree.
- Cut the scotch eggs in half, sprinkle with coriander and flaked almonds and a spoon of the mango ketchup.