Spatchcock Chicken by Jane DevonshireLeave a Comment
We are delighted to share this recipe with you from our goodfriend Jane Devonshire. It’s quick and easy to prepare. With just a few store cupboard ingredients, you’ll have a meal fit for a king in no time at all. Easily scaled up or down depending on servings required.
Kids in the Kitchen
Lemons – Juicing lemons can be lots of fun. First before cutting the lemons in half, roll them on the side with your hands to get the juices going. Cut and use a juicer of choice or squeeze the juice into a bowl. Scooping out seeds with a spoon before using.
Marinade – Measuring and count out the ingredients of the marinade and also crush the garlic together. When all ingredients are ready, mix well.
Recipe Courtesy Jane Devonshire MasterChef Champion 2016
Prep Time: 10 mins plus 1-2 hours for marinating
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Mixing Bowl
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g butter
- Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade thoroughly in a bowl.
- Put the chicken on a baking tray, breast-side down, and smear on the marinade with a spoon. You probably need about 2-3 dessertspoons to cover it fully.
- Turn the chicken over and use a sharp knife to cut into the breast diagonally. Make two cuts to each breast about two-thirds of the way through. Do the same on the thighs of the chicken, making 1 cut on each one so that the chicken cooks evenly.
- Cover the chicken with the rest of the marinade, pushing it into the cuts of the chicken. You can do this with your hands but wear rubber gloves or your hands will be stained bright red!
- Leave the chicken to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan) gas 6. Dab knobs of butter on the chicken and cook for 1hr or until the juices run clear. You can barbecue the chicken or, if you are unsure of cooking times for a whole chicken, cook in oven for 45min, then remove and finish off on the barbecue.
- Once cooked, drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice on to the chicken and leave it to rest for 10-15min before carving or jointing. Serve with salad or Jersey Royal potatoes covered in butter and mint, which I love.
Serve with salad or Jersey Royal potatoes covered in butter and mint.