Spring Braised Chicken with Asparagus, Peas and Charred Baby GemComments Off on Spring Braised Chicken with Asparagus, Peas and Charred Baby Gem
This Spring Braised Chicken with Asparagus, Peas and Charred Baby Gem is singing with flavour and is just protein and vegetables so it is a great light lunch or dinner.
It is a super springtime dish because it celebrates great British produce. Asparagus season runs from St George’s Day to Summer Solstice and Britain’s pea season runs from June to August each year.
Quick and easy to make, this recipe only uses one pan which packs it full of flavour and saves on washing up! We used our new Stainless Steel Base Range for this dish and, if you haven’t already checked it out, then you can find more information and 7 things we love about it here.
If you want to make your cooking more sustainable then you can buy a whole chicken and use the carcass for the chicken stock and the thighs for the main meal.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 baby gem, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken thighs with the skin on
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed lightly
- 1 sprig of thyme
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 75mls of dry white wine
- 150mls chicken stock
- 100g asparagus (4 spears), cut into 3 equal pieces
- 50g frozen peas
- 1 t sp lemon zest
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of dill, tarragon and parsley, finely chopped
- Stainless Steel Base 24cm Frying Pan (Stainles Steel Interior)
- Chopping board
- Season the baby gem with salt, pepper and olive oil. Heat the frying pan over a high heat and then place the baby gem cut side down for 30 seconds until it charrs on each cut side. Remove and set aside before wiping the pan clean.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and then add 1 tbsp of oil back into the pan over a medium heat with the garlic and thyme. Fry the chicken skin side down until it is well browned and crispy (about 10 minutes). Transfer it skin side up onto a plate.
- Add onion into the frying pan with a knob of butter over a medium heat and fry until soft, around 6-8 mins, scraping the bottom bits off the pan. Turn the heat up and then pour in the wine to deglaze the pan and cook off for 3-4 minutes. Next, add the chicken stock and return the chicken to the pan, skin side up to cook through for another 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and peas in the last 5 minutes, then stir through the lemon juice, zest and herbs. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve into bowls with the charred baby gem.