Vanilla rice pudding, pistachio honeycomb & glazed summer fruits by Josh Angus
Looking for a summery pud for your next date night dinner, sunday lunch, or dinner party? Look no further! Michelin Starred Hide Restaurant‘s Head Chef Josh Angus has created a super light and completely delicious dessert for you.
Copper Tri-Ply 18cm Saucepan (with lid)
Copper Tri-Ply 12cm Mini Frying Pan (to serve)
Ingredients (Serves 5)
(For the Rice Pudding)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 35g sugar (to taste)
- 150g pudding rice
- 900g milk
- 165 double cream
- 4 figs halved
- 2 peaches quartered
- Red wine
- 75g sugar
- 75g water
(For the Honeycomb)
- butter, for the tin
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g chopped pistachios
- 20g chopped pistachios for serving
Make the Honeycomb first so it can rest…
- Butter a 20cm square tin. Stir the caster sugar and golden syrup together in a deep saucepan over a gentle heat until the sugar has melted. Try not to let the mixture bubble until the sugar grains have disappeared.
- Once completely melted, turn up the heat a little and simmer until you have an amber coloured caramel (this won’t take long) add your pistachios at this point, then as quickly as you can, turn off the heat, tip in the bicarbonate of soda and beat in with a wooden spoon until it has all disappeared and the mixture is foaming. Scrape into the tin immediately – be careful, the mixture will be very hot.
- The mixture will continue bubbling in the tin, simply leave it and in about 1 hr-1 hr 30 mins the honeycomb will be hard and ready to crumble or snap into chunks.
For the Rice Pudding…
- Place the milk in a medium saucepan and add the rice and sugar. Split the vanilla pod lengthways with a sharp knife, scrape out the seeds and add both the pod and the seeds to the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook gently with a lid on, stirring frequently, for 25-30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the milk & cooked through. Remove the vanilla pod but save for presentation and stir in the cream. The rice should be glossy now & fall off a spoon; leave to cool.
- Cut the figs in half & ripe peaches in to quarters, bring to boil the sugar & water in a frying pan to make stock syrup, once the sugar has dissolved add the peaches on a medium heat & cook for 1 minute either side just to soften the peach & glaze them up with stock syrup remove from pan.
- Add the figs & do the same but this time add two splashes of red wine & reduce to a syrup consistency. The figs & peaches should be slightly soft but hold their shape & not messy!
- To serve have the cooled rice pudding on the bottom with the glazed fruit on top, sprinkle with chunks of honeycomb & chopped pistachios. Then drizzle with the red wine syrup.
What a treat! We can’t thank Josh enough for this summer sensation. Check out his other recipes for us here.