Cod with Chilli and Fennel Seed Dressing, Gnocchi and Broccoli by Luke HolderLeave a Comment
We are delighted to share this tasty recipe with you by Luke Holder. With its flaky white flesh and subtle flavour, it’s still one of the nation’s favourite fish. Perfect for any occasion and sure to wow your guests.
Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Large saucepan
- 24cm Copper Tri-ply Sauté Pan
- Potato ricer
400g of cod loin, use Skrei when in season
- 500kg potatoes
- 150g of potato flour
- 1 small egg
- 12g of Parmesan, grated (plus extra to finish the gnocchi)
- 1 knob of butter
- 300g of purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 garlic clove, bashed
Chilli, Garlic and Fennel Seed Dressing
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 2 lemons, zested
- To begin, make the gnocchi. Add the potatoes (still in their skins) to a large pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer until completely cooked through.
- Drain the potatoes and, when cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skins. Pass the potatoes through a ricer and allow to cool.
- Spread the potato out on a work surface. Sprinkle over the flour and Parmesan, crack the egg into the middle of the pile and season. Using a pastry cutter, cut the mixture together until it comes together into a ball of dough. Allow to rest for 20 minutes, then roll the dough into long sausages measuring about 1.5cm–2cm in diameter.
- Cut the lengths of dough into 2.5cm pieces and set aside.
- Steam the cod for 6 minutes, until cooked through. Flake the flesh into a bowl, retaining nice whole flakes.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and use to season the cod flakes.
- Trim the ends of the broccoli stems and cut the stems into 1cm pieces, keeping the florets whole for garnish.
- Blanch the broccoli in seasoned boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and allow to steam.
- Blanch the gnocchi in the seasoned boiling water until they float to the surface. Drain and add to a hot pan with a knob of butter and a grating of Parmesan. Toss to coat off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add a knob of butter to a hot pan and allow to melt and foam. Add the garlic, thyme and blanched broccoli and toss to coat and heat through in the foaming butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Gently combine the gnocchi with the broccoli stems and dressed cod, then divide between plates. Garnish with the broccoli florets and serve.