Whole Baked Cauliflower CheeseComments Off on Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese
Cauliflower Cheese has to be one of the nation’s favourite dishes. This Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese does not disappoint! It’s perfect for Christmas but is also a great accompaniment to a roast dinner all year round.
Part of the beauty of this recipe is that it showcases so many different parts of our ranges. Steam or par boil the cauliflower in one of our saucepans or our Stainless Steel Steamer, make the roux in one of our milk pans, and bake the dish in the oven in one of our frying pans, or sauté pan if you have a particularly large cauliflower! It’s also a straightforward and easy recipe so you can fit it in around the chaos of Christmas cooking.
Written by Eliza
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 large cauliflower (about 1kg)
- 600ml whole milk
- ½ onion
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 170g mature cheddar
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- Stainless Steel Base Milk Pan (Non-Stick Interior)
- Stainless Steel Base Saucepan
- Stainless Steel Steamer
- Stainless Steel Base Non-Stick Frying Pan (oven safe to 200C)
This recipe features our newest range, Stainless Steel Base so find out what we love about it here.
Cooking Method for our Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese
- Firstly, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and then pull any large leaves off the cauliflower, but leave any smaller ones attached. Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water for 15 mins, and then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4.
- Place the milk in a pan along with the half onion studded with cloves and the bay leaf and heat gently but do not boil.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over a medium heat, and then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Gradually add the warm milk, stirring until you have a smooth sauce, and then mix in the mustard.
- Next, add two-thirds of the cheese and whisk until the cheese has melted and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Put the cauliflower in the middle of a deep baking dish (in the photos you can see our non-stick frying pan being used) and then pour over the cheese sauce before sprinkling with the remaining cheese. Finally, bake for 30-35 mins until it is golden brown and bubbling.
Thank you to the fantastic team at My Father’s Heart for allowing us to take over their beautiful showroom to showcase this recipe.