Sweet Potato and Kale Rosti with Baked Eggs by Emma PorterLeave a Comment
We are thrilled to share this recipe by Emma Porter with you for Sweet Potato and Kale Rosti with Baked Eggs. Emma created this a few years ago and it has since become one of her most popular recipes on her blog; it’s also one of her favourites to make on a Saturday morning for guests. It’s bright, vibrant and packed with flavour and texture, as well as protein and all the vital vitamins and nutrients.
Quick, simple and only one pan needed – perfect for slicing and sharing.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes
- Food Processor or Box Grater
- Frying Pan
- 230g sweet potato, peeled 1 tsp coconut oil or butter
- 240g red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 large handfuls of kale, chopped
- 4 large eggs juice of ½ lime
- cracked black pepper
- a small handful of coriander leaves, chopped, to garnish
- dried chilli flakes, to taste (optional)
- Using a food processor fitted with the ‘grating’ attachment, coarsely grate the sweet potato – you can use a box grater instead, but you will need plenty of elbow grease.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high Add the grated sweet potato and fry for 2–3 minutes until it softens. Add the red onion and garlic and fry for a further 3–4 minutes until the onion softens and is translucent.
- Add the salt and place the kale on top of the vegetables, letting the leaves steam a little before mixing them You will be amazed at how much the volume of kale reduces and how quickly!
- Firmly press the mix down and reduce the heat to medium, to avoid the bottom burning.
- Crack the eggs on top and leave to cook through for 6–7 minutes.
- You can finish the dish off under the grill if you like a crisp top – I don’t usually do this, however, as I prefer my yolks runny.
- Once everything is cooked through, drizzle the lime juice over the dish, scatter over the chopped coriander to garnish and add some cracked black pepper and dried chilli to taste, if you like.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool, then slice up and enjoy when ready.
Nutritional information (per serving)
- Calories: 181
- Total Fat: 7g
- Carbs: 23g
- Protein 9g