These smoked salmon blinis from chef Paul Foster are perfect as a starter. A savoury fluffy pancake topped with fragrant dill crème fraiche topped with a little caviar for an elegant flourish. Small but truly delicious!
Recipe Courtesy of Paul Foster owner of Salt Restaurant
Tips on how to make the perfect pancake click HERE
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Mixing Bowl
- 28cm Non-stick Frying Pan
- 150g Plain Flour
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 60g Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 100g Clarified Butter (for cooking)
- 100g sliced Smoked Salmon
- 1 tub Crème Fraiche
- Fresh Dill
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tub Caviar
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the eggs and mix to a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the milk and mix to a smooth batter. Use immediately.
- Heat a large ProWare non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat and add a small amount of the clarified butter.
- Carefully spoon a small amount of batter into the pan to create a small round pancake, (using a piping bag will make a rounder consistent pancake).
- Repeat this process around the outside of the pan in a clockwise direction.
- After 1-2 minutes of cooking, flip the blini over to continue cooking on the other side for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat this process clockwise, starting with the first blini that was spooned into the pan.
Dill Crème Fraiche
- Finely chop the dill.
- Place the Crème Fraiche into a mixing bowl and start to whip.
- Add a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
- Add the chopped dill and return to the fridge for an hour before use.
Tear a good slice of smoked salmon and place on top of the Blini, spoon on a generous amount of crème fraiche and a generous amount of Caviar. Garnish with a picked sprig of Dill and serve.