We are delighted to share this tasty dessert recipe with you by Leiths School of Food and Wine. You will be able to find Rhubarb in supermarkets now and home grown from as early as mid-spring. What nicer way to enjoy a super easy, lightly spiced fruit crumble.
- Ovenproof dish
- Mixing Bowl
- 500g rhubarb
- Butter for greasing
- 3 – 5 tbsps soft light brown sugar
- 2 pieces stem ginger in syrup
- 2 tbsp the ginger syrup from the jar
For the crumble topping
- 200g plain flour
- ½ – 1 tsp ground ginger
- 125g butter
- 60g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Trim the ends off the rhubarb and cut it into 3 cm pieces. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter and place the rhubarb in it.
- Roughly chop the stem ginger and stir it into the rhubarb with the sugar and the ginger syrup.
- Sift the flour with a pinch of salt and the ground ginger into a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture has the texture of coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and sprinkle the crumble mixture over the rhubarb.
- Cook in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft when tested with a sharp knife and the crumble topping is lightly browned. Serve with ice cream or custard.