Parfait of Brown Butter & Muscovado, with Sherry Caramel and Apples by Jöro
This parfait recipe from Jöro Restaurant is a indulgent frozen dessert which will help you get ahead when cooking for guests as it needs to be made ahead of time. It is served on a small piece of Parkin with small pieces of fresh apple. The rich and creamy parfait couples beautifully with the warm spice of the ginger in the Parkin and slight tartness of the Granny Smith apples. See the Parkin recipe here.
Parkin is a gingerbread cake often associated with Yorkshire. It is made with oatmeal, black treacle, flour, butter and, of course, ginger. It is a sweet, sticky cake and the gentle warmth of the ginger makes it perfect for a winter’s day! We would really encourage you to give Jöro’s recipe a go but if you are in a rush store bought ginger cake is an appropriate alternative.
The Sherry sauce bubbling above adds to the richness and flavour of this dessert.
Serves: 4-6 as a dessert
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes hands on time, 8 hours freezing time
For the parfait
- 160g muscovado sugar
- 40g glucose syrup
- 160g egg yolk
- 160ml salted butter for beurre noisette
- 200g mascarpone, softened
- 160ml whipping cream, whipped to very soft peaks
- table salt to taste
For the Pedro Ximenez
- 1 bottle Pedro Ximenez Sherry
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 100ml apple juice
- Make the beurre noisette, melt the butter over medium-low heat in the 16cm saucepan, stirring it frequently until it browns slightly. The butter will transform, turning from melted to a toasty and nutty liquid. Set to one side to cool.
- Place the sugar and glucose in the 14cm saucepan and heat to 121 C on a sugar thermometer then take off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the egg yolk into the bowl of an electric mixer and using the whisk attachment whisk on full speed until pale and creamy. Slowly add the sugar syrup in a continual flow until the egg yolks have taken it all.
- Add the cooled beurre noisette and whisk until fully incorporated. Stir in the mascarpone and then fold in the whipping cream. Mix well so there is no marbling of the ingredients at all, season with salt to taste (salt is optional, but will give you a beautiful salted caramel-like flavour).
- Prepare a freezer-safe container by carefully lining it with cling-film, or alternatively spray with non-stick baking spray and then pour the parfait mixture in and place in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Once frozen, remove from the freezer and leave to soften slightly before cutting into desired portions, then return to the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
- To prepare the Sherry caramel, use either the cleaned 14cm or 16cm saucepans place the sherry and sugar into a pan and reduce by half, then chill completely.
- To prepare the apples, peel them and cut into desired shapes and store in apple juice with a squeeze of lemon juice to stop them from discolouring.
- When ready to serve, place the parfait over a piece of Parkin on a chilled plate, drizzle over the Pedro Ximenez caramel and scatter over the apples.