One Pot Geang-Hung-Lay by Marni Xuto
We’ve paired up with the fabulous Marni Xuto to bring you this recipe for One Pot Geang-Hung-Lay or Northern Thai Style Pork Belly Curry. Marni loves to make Thai food accessible and easy for everyone. Check out her website for recipes that look absolutely irresistible and make sure you follow her on Instagram.
In this recipe, Marni showcases one fab feature of our cookware: our pans can be used on the hob AND in the oven! In this recipe, the curry is made on the hob and finished in the oven. We can’t wait to try it!
Written by Eliza
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes and slow cook in the oven for 2 hours
Ingredients for the Hung-Lay paste:
- 30 grams Garlic-peeled
- 100 grams Shallot-peeled and chopped
- 25 grams Lemongrass-sliced
- 15 grams Galangal -sliced and chopped
- 1 grams Dried bird eye chilli-sliced
- 1.5 teaspoons Shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon Paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
Ingredients for the curry:
- 600 grams Pork belly-chunky cut
- 35 grams Toasted peanuts (optional)
- 20 grams Ginger-peeled and sliced
- 5 grams Red chilli-sliced
- 1 grams Coriander
- 200 millilitres Water
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon Dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- Lightly spray the oil in Copper Tri-ply 24cm Non-Stick Frying Pan.
- Add the peanuts and toss until slightly brown. Set aside.
- Pre- heat the oven to 150 Celsius.
- Pound the garlic, red onion, lemongrass, galangal, dried birds eye chilli, shrimp paste and salt in a pestle and mortar (or blend it in an electric blender). Set aside.
- Marinate the pork belly in the paste for at least 1 hour.
- Fry the marinated pork belly with the vegetable oil until brown over medium to high heat in the Copper Tri-ply 20cm Saucepan.
- Season with the dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Stir until cooked.
- Add the tamarind paste, half portion of sliced ginger and water. Bring it to the boil.
- Close the lid and cook the curry in the oven for 1.5 hours.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Add the rest of the ginger, fold and return the pan to the oven for a further 30 minutes without the lid.
- Garnish with toasted peanuts, red chilli and coriander.
- Enjoy this one pot Northern Thai Style curry with a fluffy Thai Jasmine Rice.