Grilled Octopus, rosemary new potatoes & chickpea feta salad recipe by Josh Angus
One of our favourite pieces, our Stainless Steel Tri-Ply 35cm Roasting Pan was put to the test by Hide‘s Head Chef Josh Angus recently and look what a culinary masterpiece he concocted! If you thought cooking octopus at home might be inaccessible, then think again with Josh’s recipe…
Large Walnut Chopping Board
Stainless Steel Tri-Ply 35cm Roasting Pan
Copper Tri-Ply 10cm Mini Casserole Pans
- 1 x Spanish frozen octopus 3-4kg (defrosted)
- 1 carrot (roughly chopped)
- 1 leek (roughly chopped)
- 1 bulb garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 200g feta
- 150g cherry tomatoes quartered
- 150g edamme beans or broad beans popped & blanched if needed
- 1 cucumber sliced at angle
- Green or black olives (optional)
- 4 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- ½ Lemon juice
- 5 tbsp good olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 500g new potatoes
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 15g Rosemary chopped
- Salt to taste
- Turn the oven on 170c full fan, once the octopus is fully defrosted. Give the octopus a rinse under the sink. Then cut the octopus in half having 4 tentacles either side, place in the cast iron dish with the roughly chopped vegetables & a splash of white wine. (optional)
- Cover with greaseproof & foil, then put in the oven & cook for 2 to 3 hours until the octopus is completely cooked through & not chewy! A knife should easily go through the octopus.
- The meantime chop the new potatoes in half or quarters if large, mix in a bowl with olive oil, salt, chopped rosemary & chopped garlic.
- Roast potatoes in the oven for 35mins same temperature as octopus until really crispy & cooked through. Mix time to time in the oven so they become really crispy.
- For the salad wash the chickpeas under cold running water & mix with chopped feta, tomatoes, broad beans & cucumber. Dress the salad with olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice & salt to taste.
- Once the octopus is cooked & rested for 20 minutes, take each tentacle & detach them from the head individually, then grill them in hot pan with splash of olive oil to get crispy on the outside, 2 minutes on each side will be enough.
- Serve immediately with the hot crispy potatoes & cold Greek salad. Also could serve with aioli or romesco sauce as a dip.
We can’t get enough of this recipe, perfect for a summer dinner party with friends who love seafood. Thanks Josh!