Pancakes are quick, easy and always delicious. The Milestone’s recipe for American style pancakes is fuss free way to kick-start your morning. There is a video below of Chef Luke from the Milestone demonstrating how to make these pancakes. He also tops them with a lovely combination of smoked salmon and samphire, which would make a lovely evening mean and shows that pancakes don’t have to just be for breakfast!
Makes: 6-8 Pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2-3 minutes per pancake
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 1 tbsp of caster sugar
- 135g of sifted plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 130ml of whole milk
- Copper Tri-Ply 24cm Frying Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Turner or Pallet knife
- Add the egg to a mixing bowl and whisk in the butter until slightly fluffy.
- Add the sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the milk gradually, scraping the sides of the bowl when necessary. Mix until it is a thick smooth texture and use straight away.
- Add a couple of knobs of butter to the pan and melt over a medium heat. This will create a nice even coating to the pan. Heat the butter until it froths.
- Add half a ladle of the batter to the pan.
- Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, turn it over using a turner or pallet knife and cook until both sides are golden brown. The pancake will rise to about 1cm in thickness.
- Remove the pancake from the pan and keep warm in an oven heated to 90C on a plate or a tray.
- Once all pancakes are cooked, serve with a topping of your choice.